Surprisingly, August in Mongolia offers a myriad of events, whether you are seeking a religious festival or looking to explore unique aspects of nomadic and ethnic culture. Here are some inspirational ideas for your August journey through Mongolia.
1. Sunrise to Sunset Marathon
- Date: August 3-9, 2019
- Location: Toilogt camp Khovsgol province This marathon, set along the picturesque Khovsgol Lake, is not just a race but a breathtaking experience. The stunning landscapes, untouched forests, mountains, and local hospitality at Camp Toilogt make this event truly remarkable. Before the race, you can acclimatize to the altitude, enjoy horseback riding, fishing, hiking, and even visit Tsaatan reindeer herders.
2. Mongol Nomadic Naadam
- Date: August 3, 14, 28
- Location: Nomadic camp A mini version of Mongolia’s famed Naadam festival, this event offers a chance to witness the “Three Manly Games” of Mongols—Wrestling, Horse riding, and Archery. It’s a one-day opportunity to immerse yourself in Mongol tradition and culture while exploring nomadic life.
3. Oirad Tumen – Western Mongolian Traditional Folk Art Festival
- Date: August 3-6, 2019
- Location: Khirgene, Turgen soum, Uvs province This festival brings together various ethnic Mongolian participants from different regions. You can experience Western Mongolian traditional arts and cultural heritage, including throat singing, traditional dance, and cultural performances. The event also hosts contests such as horse racing, wrestling, and traditional clothing showcases.
4. 3000 Long Song Singers’ Festival
- Date: August 9-11, 2019
- Location: Ikh Gazriin Chuluu. This unique festival in the Gobi desert features 3000 renowned long song singers from across Mongolia. It takes place at the stunning Ikh Gazriin Chuluu mountain of granite rock, offering a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness Mongolian long song performances.
5. One Day of Nomadic Mongolia Event
- Date: August 5, 2019
- Location: Khankhongor soum, Umnugobi province This event offers a chance to explore 30 nomadic rituals connected with five domestic animals, nomadic life, and traditional culture. It’s a unique experience to witness milking, lassoing, horse racing, wrestling, archery, and other aspects of nomadic life within one day.
6. Journey to Little 99 Warriors
- Date: August 5-6, 2019
- Location: Tsaidam camp, Khashaat soum, Arkhangai province Join the annual Journey of 99 Little Warriors to experience the cultural activities of Mongolian kids, including wrestling, archery, and traditional performances. This event offers insights into how Mongolian nomadic children grow up and develop essential skills.
7. Orkhon Valley Horse Festival
- Date: August 7, 2019
- Location: Tsaidam bag, Khashaat soum, Arkhangai province Held in the UNESCO-listed Orkhon Valley, this festival celebrates the strong bond between Mongolian horses and their riders. Experience various horse-related rituals, including horse racing, lassoing, and traditional ankle bone horse racing games in a unique cultural setting.
8. The Ceremony of Gongor Bumba
- Date: August 16-18, 2019
- Location: Amarbaysgalant Monastery, Selenge province The Gongor Bumba ceremony is a significant religious celebration in Amarbaysgalant Monastery. Witness the unique rituals and occasions, even if you’re not a religious follower, and be captivated by the religious traditions of Mongolian Buddhists.
9. Khuraldai Naadam Falconry Festival
- Date: August 17, 2019
- Location: Chinggis Khaanii Khuree Complex, Ulaanbaatar city Falconry is deeply rooted in Mongolian culture, and this festival aims to raise awareness and protect this cultural heritage. Experience the art of falconry, horseback archery, a fashion show, and cultural performances.
10. 2000 Reindeer Festival
- Date: August 16-17, 2019
- Location: Tsagaannuur sum, Khovsgol province Held in the far north of Mongolia, this unique festival is an opportunity to explore the Tsaatan tribe and their reindeer herding culture, offering unforgettable memories in a one-time event.
11. Yak Festival
- Date: August 17-18, 2019
- Location: Taikhar steppe, IkhTamir sum, Arkhangai province Experience the Yak Festival in the beautiful Taikhar Steppe, featuring yak-related activities, yak parades, contests, and even a thrilling yak race.
12. Mongolian Gobi Naadam-Khongor Khurd
- Date: August 15, 2019
- Location: Khongor sand dune, Sevrei sum, Umnugobi province The Mongolian Gobi Naadam festival at the Khongor Sand Dune combines the excitement of the Three Manly Games with the opportunity to explore nomadic culture in the Gobi region.
13. The Victory of Khalkh Gol Battle
- Date: August 27-28, 2019
- Location: Khalkh Gol Sum, Choibalsan City, Dornod Province. Marking the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Khalkh Gol, this event commemorates the decisive victory over the Japanese Sixth Army during World War II. Witness historical reenactments and pay homage to the heroic soldiers who stopped the war.